Get Your Car Ready For Cooler Weather!
The Council recommends the following tasks be performed by a do-it-yourself er (DIY) or professional auto technician:
- Check the coolant (antifreeze); coolant should be flushed and refilled every two years in most vehicles.
- Check the owner’s manual to see if your driving habits are considered “severe,” and if so, have the oil changed
accordingly, usually every 3,000 miles; consider changing to a “winter weight” oil if you live in a cold climate.
- Check the battery and exhaust system.
- Be certain the heater and defroster are working properly.
- Keep the gas tank at least half full, decreasing the chances of moisture forming in the gas lines and possibly freezing.
- Check tire tread depth and tire pressure; consider special tires if snow and ice are a problem in your area.
- Check to see that lights work and headlights are properly aimed.
- Replace wiper blades every six months; consider special snow blades if the weather dictates.
- Be prepared for an emergency with the following items in your trunk:
- ice scraper
- windshield de-icer
- whisk broom
- extra clothes
- bottled water
- necessary medications and
- a first-aid kit.
Engine and cooling system
We’d love to meet you. Come by and see for yourself. Start giving you and your family the kind of the peace of mind on your vehicle that YOU deserve.