Often New Years Resolutions have to do with maintaining or improving your health or the health of your family. Having a reliable means of transportation is part of that equation. We have a list of things to put on your list to make sure your family vehicle is performing the best it can and keeping your loved ones safe.
Many of our car care tips are completely FREE or very inexpensive and just take a moment out of your day.
- Get regular oil changes since they are your best investment toward the longevity of the engine.
- Get regular brake inspections which are the best way to ensure safe and reliable braking and minimize the cost of repairs when brake service is needed.
- Make sure your gas cap is secure and tight. A loose gas cap can trigger the “Check Engine” or “service Engine Soon” light.
- Ensure your tires are properly inflated. Proper tire inflation can improve gas mileage by more than 3 percent when maintained regularly.
- Get regular alignment checks — they are your best way to maximize tire life and ensure that your car performs on the road as originally designed.
- Get routine tune-ups and engine performance checks — they can be your best assurance of good performance and fuel economy. A healthy running engine maximizes the life of expensive emission system components.
- Frequent washing and polishing is the best way to protect your car’s finish from the damaging effects of acid rain.
- You should check the condition of the coolant each spring and fall to make sure the additives that protect against corrosion still function.
- If you are suspicions of a leak, have it checked out at once. Carbon monoxide from your car’s exhaust is odorless, colorless-and lethal.
- Try to replace your car’s fuel filter every two years or 24,000 miles for best results.
- During normal driving, you may not notice a light that isn’t working; inspect your car’s lights at every oil change.
- You should test your battery every fall. If your car’s battery is three years old or more, consider replacing it since the chances of failure increase.
We wish you and your family a prosperous and healthy New Year.